In the 13th century, King Pethasinh of Pethapur, ruled over Shertha town. After the death of Pethasinh, the Sultanate of Patan used this land as battle ground. Sultan Ahmed Shah decided to move his capital from Patan to a new city, and built Ahmedabad In 1960, Bombay state was split in two different states, Gujarat and Maharashtra. Ahmedabad became capital of Gujarat, and a new capital city was to be built on land which was once part of Pethapur state.
Existance : The New Capital city was planned by two Indian planners, H.K. Mewada and Prakash M Apte.
Gandhinagar’s streets are numbered, and have cross streets named for Gujarati alphabets like “k” , “kh” , “g” , “gh” , “ch” , “chh” , “j” from West to East & Crossed by Numerics from “1” , “2” , “3” , ”4” , ”5” , ”6” , ”7” from South to North.
First of Gandhinagar City:
- On March 16th 1960 city was formed as Gandhinagar.
- On August 2nd 1965 foundation of first building was laid in GEB Power Station Colony.
- On July 30th 1970 Area Notified and Declared as State Capital
- On March 16th 2010 proposal to give the city a Status of Municipal Corporation
- On May 1st 2010 Municipal Corporation started.
- First Hindu Temple: ‘Panchdev Temple’ foundation was laid on June 2nd 1972.
- First Mosque’s: In 1970 ‘Madina Masjid’ Sec 29 and ‘Jumma Masjid’ Sec 21 we registered by Gujarat Waqf Board.
- First Church: Catholic Church in Sec 8 was established on April 12th 1992.
- First Gurudwara: Sant Nirankari Gurudwara in Sec 30 was established on Feb 17th 1984.
- First Jain Deraser: established in Sec 22.
- First Police Quarters: Built near GEB Colony in Pethapur village.
- First Govt. Secondary School: in Sec 16 since June 16th 1970.
- First Private Primary & Secondary School: Mount Carmel and St. Xavier’s on June 16th 1970.
- First College: Sec 16 Arts and Commerce College on June 16th 1970.
- First University: Kadi Sarva Vidhyalaya Kelavani Mandal. Sec 23 on May 22nd 2007.
- First Govt. Hospital: Started near Vegetable Market, Govt Quarters Block 1 in Sec 21.
- First Petrol Pump: Sec 16 Pragya Petrol Pump.
- First Public Statue: Statue of Mahatma Gandhi in front of Vidhan Sabha.
- First Post Office: Opened in Sec 16.
- First Police Station: Opened in Sec 28.
- First Library: opened in Sec 22.
- First Newspaper: March 12th 1986 onwards ‘Gandhinagar Samachar’ started as first daily newspaper.
- First S.T. Bus Stand: was located near Sec 28 Govt. Press.
- First Hotel: Sardar Hotel located in Sec 28 was the first Hotel in the city.
- First LPG Gas Agency: Saheba Agency in Sec 21 started distributing LPG kits from September 15th 1970.
- First PNG Connection: Govt. Quarter no. 135/1 in Sec.21 received PNG connection on February 12th 2006.
- First Public Garden: The present Sec 28 Children’s Amusement Park.
- First Movie Theatre: Pooja Theater in Sec 21.
- First Bank: State Bank of India in Dr. Jivraj Mehta Bhavan.
- First Apna Bazar: Started operating from 1968 in Sec 28 Shopping Center.
- First Restaurant: Adarsh Bhojanalay in Sec 16.